Saturday, February 15, 2014

Week 6 -- February 15th

After a hectic week of scrambling to finish A1 and studying for a CSC165 midterm, Danny left us pondering the tree data structure. The writer at http://gr148slog.blogspot.ca/ described it really well -- in a way that I didn't think about, but I think it will help me in long run. He describes the roots and children as the way we drew them when we were young. We started with a base tree, and drew two branches leading out of each leaf part.

I must confess, I did not finish A1. I completed all the steps, but I just could not figure out the 4-stool move algorithm. I knew that finding "i" would be a lot harder than just integer-dividing it by 2, but I did not even understand the recursive part of it. In the end, I had a function using the 3-stool cheese function Danny wrote in class that moved the cheeses in fewer moves than the Hanoi method, but more moves than the best-known TOAH method. I realize that assignments require students to just sit and THINK. I would not say that I spent enough time thinking about the assignment in general. It was pretty interesting how everything came together, and I think it showed me how useful object-oriented programming can be on a grand scale.

All in all, I think I did pretty well for having worked alone. Note to self: look for a partner sooner.

Who actually puts cheese on stools? I couldn't even find an image of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment